Apple released its latest update, the all-new iOS 13, on September 19, 2019. It has a slew of new features added, besides faster and smoother performance. These include a new Dark Mode, tighter security, easier accessibility, improved Siri, Homekit, Shortcuts and Camera, greater language support, game control support, new Fonts, the fusion of Find My iPhone and Find My Friends into the Find My app, better AR and an optimized battery. Many apps got an overhaul too, like Photos, Maps, Notes, Music, Mail, Health, Files, Enterprise, Contacts, Calendar, Books, Reminders, CarPlay, Keyboard, Messages, and even the App Store.
The list of devices that Apple has announced as compatible with the iOS 13 is iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPhone X, iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus and the iPod Touch(7th generation). Also, the iPad got its own separate OS called iPadOS. This means the iPhone 5S got axed from the new update. However, no major cuts were announced for the previous iOS 12, so iPhone 5S users will not have to buy a new phone immediately. It would be even better if the iPhone decides to release a version of iOS 13 that is compatible with these phones.
How to Install
Before installing iOS 13, one must take care of some points. Firstly, they must have a strong Wi-Fi connection. Secondly, they should have all their data backed up, just in case. Thirdly, make sure your phone has at least double that memory required for the update, for smooth functioning. Lastly, make sure that you have a full battery on your phone. If possible, keep it connected to a power source throughout the process.
There are two ways to install iOS 13 on your iPhone. One is directly from your iPhone and one is from your computer.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings, then General. Under this, click on Software Update.
- The iPhone will automatically search for the latest update. If your device is iOS compatible, the notification for the same will appear after some time.
- Click on Download and Install under it.
The update should take some time, but if you think your phone has frozen, hard reset it and start over.
- Update your iTunes the latest version and open it on your PC.
- Connect the iPhone to your computer via lightning cable.
- Select the Device icon that appears.
- Click on the Summary in the left menu. The latest update will be shown on the right.
- Click on Update, Next and Agree.
- Once the download is done, again click on Update under Summary. Your iPhone will load and boot with the update.
Apple has said that iOS 13 is the biggest revamp ever that they released. So it makes sense to update your iPhone to this version of iOS, as it will give you access to many more exciting features, as mentioned before.